Breakfast is indeed the most important meal of the day, but if you’ve been limited to the same scrambled eggs for years, it may be time for a breakfast makeover. And fear not, I had your budget in mind. Below are three of my budget friendly, classy breakfasts which you can make in just under 10 minutes.
This is a simply elegant meal and can be eaten with just toasted bread. When poaching an egg, what you’re after is a smooth, not wispy, ball of tender egg white enveloping a soft yolk that gently spills out when broken into. you can have them on toasted bread.
- Make sure your eggs are really fresh. Fresh eggs have a thicker white near the yolk that will better hold a round shape as it cooks. If your egg isn’t so fresh, crack it into a small bowl and drain off the runnier white.
You can tell how fresh an egg is by putting it in a glass of water; if it lies horizontally at the bottom, it is very fresh; if it starts to float or stand on end it is less fresh.
- Crack your egg into a bowl or onto a saucer, this makes it easier to slide into the pan. If there is any very runny white surrounding the thicker white then tip this away.
- Add a drop of vinegar (you can add this to the water in the pan if you prefer).
- Bring a pan of water filled at least 5cm deep to a simmer. Don’t add any salt as this may break up the egg white.
- Stir the water to create a gentle whirlpool to help the egg white wrap around the yolk.
- Slowly tip the egg into the centre. Make sure the heat is low enough not to throw the egg around – there should only be small bubbles rising.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the white is set.
- Lift the egg out with a slotted spoon and drain it on kitchen paper. Trim off any straggly bits of white. If you need to cook more than one poached egg, keep it at the right temperature in warm water, but make sure the water isn’t hot enough to overcook the egg.
Avocado on Toast
This is a quick and easy breakfast. perfect for when avocados are in season. If you’re in a rush, there little time to make this one because its a healthy quick fix. All you need is bread, avocado, salt and pepper or chilli flakes to season.
- Cut the avocado in half and carefully remove its stone, then scoop out the flesh into a bowl.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice then mash with a fork to your desired texture. You do not have to mash, if you prefer slices, go ahead.
- Toast your bread then pile the avocado on top.
- Season to taste with sea salt, black pepper and chilli flakes
This is a fun and easy breakfast to make for you and your family. Oats tend to be filling and are on the slow energy release side, you will feel full for longer. If you have kids around, they will surely love a sweet and healthy treat for breakfast. Toss the bread for this one, all you will need:
- 125ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 ripe banana
- 100g rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- few drops vanilla extract (optional)
- oil spray
- Toppings of your choice
- Put the oat milk, egg yolks, banana, oats, baking powder and vanilla in a blender and process to as smooth a mixture as you can get. Whisk the eggs whites until they hold stiff peaks. Whisk 1-2 tbsp of the whites into the batter, then fold in the rest.
- Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat and spray with a whisper of oil, pour about 2 tbsp of batter into the pan and cook for 1-2 mins, until the base sets and bubbles appear all over the top. Flip and cook the other side for a minute. Repeat in batches, making sure that some bubbles have formed at the top, and its not runny before attempting the flip, or the center will collapse.